First Project Manager Hiring

After being laid off at Equifax, they were bringing everything inhouse so all of the IBM team was being let go, I wanted to get a job with the title "Project Manager" as opposed to doing it without the title. However, I seemed to have run into a bit of a Catch-22. In order to be a project manager, I had to have experience as an actual project manager; but to get that experience, you have to be a project manager. I then started looking for "Junior" PM or "Project Coordinator" positions. Problem was they were looking for entry level people, those fresh out of college or just a couple of years under their belt. By this time I had been an Naval officer for 4  years and worked at various other companies, including BellSouth and EDS for 10. I was far from "entry level." 

I managed to pick up some contracting work doing IT computer repair, upgrades, and network administration while I look. Have to admit, I got good at replacing laptop computer screens and making new laptops from the spare parts of old ones. Even learned CRM since I had to load that on the server and get it up and running. Still though, it wasn't quite what I wanted and worse, it was temporary. I was gob smacked when I walked in one Friday and they basically said, "Thanks for all of your help but we don't need you anymore. We'll pay you through today but you can go home." Didn't even have time to take off my coat and get a cup of coffee. I wish they had just called me while I was at home, could have saved the gas, especially now that I was unemployed.

Still I continued to look, and study. My friend lent me his PMBOK and I would read it while job hunting. I then caught a bit of a break, a friend of mine who worked at the Atlanta Ballet let me know they were looking for an IT Manager and he recommended me. During the interview, it was apparent they needed someone to clean up their IT. Their firewall kept going down; it was basically an OLD Compaq on it's very last leg. Also, while the server was small, it was being backup daily to a portable hard drive on the old managers desk, who was leaving for greener pastures. This was back in the day where Compaq had been out of business for a few years, thumbnail drive were small and expensive, and tape was still the preferred backup method. They also asked me if I could do some HR work. I, of course said "yes." So I became the IT/HR Manager for the Atlanta Ballet. 

The pay was low, so you weren't going to get certified techs there but I had more than enough expertise. I was able to get the backups working again, get a new firewall device in, and even set up public network so people could serve the net without hitting the inner workings of the Ballet. I also had 3 satellite offices to service. I really enjoyed working there and if the pay hadn't been so low, I'd probably still be there. The dancers were great, and there was always classical music often playing as they practices. I also developed a love for The Nutcracker while I was there. Also had free Pilates class, taught by one of the dancers. Since it was a ballet studio, they had changing rooms (though I could just close my office door and change) and showers. Even arranged a "Braves Day" as we went to an Atlanta Braves game back when they were still at Turner Field. Did this after conducting a company survey and people wanted more "team building" events. Even had a foul ball hit in our area which someone took home. 

Then one day, as I continued to look for PM roles I got lucky, I found company call Genesis 10. They were looking for project managers, no experience necessary! It seemed there was a shortage of PM at the time and anyone with any type of experience was sought. After interviewing and passing a couple of tests, I was in! In the queue that is. Now I just had to find an opportunity. After a couple of months, I interviewed with someone at Bank of America and wowed them! I was hired!

Now, I'm not going to say that that experience was great, but I will say I'm still contracting at Bank of America and they keep renewing my contract.

That first experience was a bit rocky. One of the biggest problems was the PM I was working under didn't want to give up any control. She would show me what she was looking for, how to track the project using her custom built spreadsheets, and how to send out the meeting minutes. Then, when it seems she was ready to give me more autonomy, she'd take it back because, "I need to show you something else first, related to this." Now admittedly, learning there is described as "drinking from a firehose" because of all of the things you need to learn. I was getting up to speed, not as fast as I would have liked, but I was getting there. Then, about 6 months later, a mandate came down from on high, layoffs. Yes, 6 months after I had my dream job, I got laid off. At least I wasn't as bad off as the person who got laid off with the rest of us, who had only been there for 2 weeks!

Still, I persisted, and after bouncing around other jobs, I got back in and have pretty much been able to to stick around. There were other layoffs and other companies, but those are blogs for another time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Project

PMI Certification or I GANTT to Get it Done

How it All Began